Rice is a staple food in the South Indian families. We eat rice for at least one meal everyday. Some of my non Indian friends call me "Starch Girl" :)
Most of the times rice is served with a curry or a vegetable side dish or the rice is cooked along with vegetables and/or lentils.
I often find it easy and interesting to make rice with different vegetables.
Here is a simple rice dish made with grated beetroot.
- Beetroot: 2 medium sized
- Onion: 1 medium sized(finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Garam Masala: 1 tsp
- Oil: 3 tbsp
- Red chili powder: 1/2 tsp(optional)
- Cooked Rice: 2 Cups
- Split black gram(Urad dal): 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Curry leaves: 4
- Dried red chillies: 2(broken)
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Asafoetida(Hing): a pinch
- Add oil to a pan and when the oil is heated, add the seasoning ingredients in the order mentioned.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add the onions along with a pinch of salt and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the grated beetroot and mix well and cover the pan with a lid and cook for few minutes until the beetroot is cooked and becomes soft.
- If you want to serve the beetroot as a side dish with cooked rice, you can stop here.
- To make the rice, continue reading.
- Now add the cooked rice to the beetroot mixture, add the garam masala powder and mix gently.
- If you like your rice spicy, add the red chili powder and adjust the salt.
- Turn off the stove.
- Serve with Raitha/Yogurt chutney.