My mom used to make different varieties of snacks for us to eat by the time we returned from school and these vegetable cutlets were my all time favorite. She used to make something different and fresh every day.
She always tried to make them healthy using lot of vegetables and very little oil and she always served them with fresh fruits of the season.
My little kiddo is a very picky eater. So the other day I decided to make these cutlets for her.
I used potato, carrots, beans and green peas - all the vegetables that the kiddo loves.
She likes to eat cooked vegetables, but does not like them in curries or rice.
So, did she like the cutlets? No, can you believe that? She only wanted to eat her boiled veggies which is good. I was just trying to get her used to different foods.
Hubby was also not hungry so he did not eat them either.
What did I do - ate them for dinner and for breakfast next day. Glad I made something I like. I could finish them.
- Potatoes: 2
- Carrots: 2
- Green Peas( fresh or frozen): 3/4 cup
- Green Beans: 1/2 cup
- Whole wheat bread: 2 slices
- salt to taste.
- Chopped Cilantro: 3 tbsp
- Cumin(Jheera) powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander(Dhania) powder: 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala: 1/4 tsp
- Aamchur powder: 1/2 tsp or you can use 1 tsp of lime juice.
- Egg: 1
- Chop potatoes, carrots and beans into medium sized pieces.
- To a pressure cooker add these cut vegetables and green peas, add salt and little water just enough to cook the vegetables.
- cook until you get 2 whistles.
- While the vegetables are cooking, add the bread slices to the mixer or a food processor and grind for few seconds. you will get soft bread crumbs. Add the bread crumbs to a plate and set them aside.
- beat the egg in a small bowl and set that aside.
- Remove the pressure cooker lid and drain any excess water from the vegetables and slightly mash the cooked veggies.
- Now add salt, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, chopped cilantro and aamchur powder or the lime juice to the veggies and mix well.
- Add 3 tbsp oil to a small pan and heat it.
- Now take a big lemon size vegetable mixture in the hand and make into a small patty.
- Slightly apply the egg around the patty with the hand or with a brush.
- Do not dip it into the egg.
- After the egg is applied, dip the patty in the bread crumbs and make sure it is coated well with the bread on all sides.
- Now add the patty coated with bread to the pan and fry until until it turns brown on both the sides.
- Repeat the process with the remaining veggie mixture.
- Serve with ketchup.