Like I mentioned before, my kiddo is a picky eater. She hates eating rice. Other day they had Spanish rice at the day care and her teacher said the kiddo loved it. I was like - my kiddo and eating rice, couldn't believe that. Over the weekend I searched couple of recipes over the internet for Spanish/Mexican rice and made this version. It was a huge success. Little monster loved it.
- Basmati Rice: 1 cup
- Tomatoes(medium sized): 2
- Green Bell Pepper (chopped): 1/2 cup
- Garlic cloves: 2
- Tomato Paste: 2 tsp
- Chicken broth: 2 cups
- Red Onion(finely chopped): 1/2 cup
- Cilantro(finely chopped): 2 tbsp
- Green onions(chopped): 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Add oil to a pan and when the oil is heated, add the onions, garlic cloves and green pepper and cook them until the onions turn brown.
- I used whole garlic cloves, so that it is easy to remove them later. You can actually cut them into to small pieces and add. I did not want to take chances with my little girl.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and the tomato paste and cook until the tomatoes turn soft.
- While the tomatoes are cooking take another pan and add little oil and slightly toast the rice on a very low flame.
- Now add the toasted rice to the tomatoes and add the chicken broth. Adjust the salt.
- Pressure cook until you get two whistles or cover the pan with a lid and cook until the rice is fluffy.
- Garnish with cilantro and green onions.
Note: You can add jalapeños or red chilli powder to make it little spicy.