Gongura is a leafy vegetable widely used in South India. It has a sour taste.
It is difficult to find Gongura in the place I live. So I decided to grow them. Usually Gongura is made in to a pickle/pachadi. Since I did not have enough to make pachadi, I made the gongura pulusu. Doesn't it feel good to cook with home grown vegetables? and the best thing about gongura is it doesn't catch any bugs.
I tried my hands at growing different vegetables, but when they get bugs I loose my interest in gardening.
- Gongura Leaves(rinsed): 2 cups
- Bottle Gourd(Sorakaya)(Cubed): 1 cup
- Channa Dal: 2 tbsp
- Onions(Finely chopped): 1/2 cup
- Green chillies( Cut length wise): 4
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Garlic cloves: 2
- Urad Dal: 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves: 5
- Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Hing: a pinch
- Soak the channa dal in water for 4-5 hours.
- Chop the sorrel/gongura leaves.
- Add oil to a pan and add the seasoning ingredients in the order mentioned.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add the onions and the garlic cloves.
- When the onions start to turn brown, add the chopped bottle gourd, green chillies and the sorrel/gongura leaves.
- Add the soaked channa dal.
- Add little water and cover the pan with a lid and let it cook for few minutes.
- Keep stirring in between.
- Add more water if required.
- When the sorrel leaves and the bottle gourd are completely cooked, add the salt and turn off the stove.
- Serve with steamed rice and ghee.