Butter Chicken..........the name itself makes my mouth water. Who doesn't like butter chicken? Butter chicken and naan......can there be a better combo?
This recipe is by my friend 'S'.
Vegetarians can substitute chicken with paneer and that makes Paneer butter masala.
- Chicken – 1.5 lbs, boneless skinless thighs
- Lemon Juice – 3 tbsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup
- Ginger & Garlic Paste – 4 tsp
- Tandoori Masala – 2 tsp
- Unsalted Butter – 1.5 tbsp
- Garam Masala – 2 tsp
- Big Cardamom – 3
- Green Cardamom – 4
- Cinnamon Stick – 1″ pc.
- Bay Leaf – 2
- Tomatoes – 3 large, pureed
- Sugar – 1 tsp or to taste
- Dried Methi Leaves (Kasoori Methi) – 1 tbsp
- Green Chili – to taste, finely chopped
- Heavy Whipping Cream – 1 cup or to taste
- Cilantro – 3 sprigs, finely chopped
- Cut the Chicken to bite-size pieces and wash it well.
- In a bowl add the following to the chicken pieces – Lemon Juice, 2 tsps of Ginger & Garlic Paste, Tandoori Masala, Red Chili Powder, Salt and Yogurt.
- Mix well and marinate in the refrigerator overnight for best results or atleast a couple of hours.
- Grease a broiler dish with ghee, oil or cooking spray and layer the Chicken in a single layer. Broil on high for 5-7 minutes on each side. Keep an eye on it as every oven varies. The size of the chicken pieces makes a difference and where you place the rack in the oven plays a big role in how long the chicken needs to be cooked.
- For the gravy, in a medium size pan on medium heat, melt and heat the Butter.
- Once hot, add the Cardamoms, Bay Leaf and Cinnamon Stick. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add the balance of Ginger and Garlic paste and fry of 30 secs.
- Add in the Green Chilis and the Tomato Puree. Mix well.
- Add in the Salt, Red Chili Powder and Garam Masala and mix well.
- Allow it to come to a boil and then lower the heat and let the gravy simmer for 10 minutes till most of the juice from the tomatoes evaporates.
- Add in the Sugar and the Dried Methi Leaves and allow it to cook for another 2 minutes before adding broiled Chicken pieces. Mix well to coat Chicken.
- Add the Whipping Cream, mix and allow it to come to a boil and take it off the flame.
- At this point, do a taste test and adjust the salt, sugar and the liquid in the gravy.
- Mix in half the Cilantro in the dish and garnish the balance while serving.
If you don’t have access to a broiler dish …use metal skewers or wooden ones (soaked) or just barbeque them on the grill.
* Use Oil instead of Butter. But butter gives good flavor for butter chicken.
* Substitutes for Heavy Whipping Cream – Half and Half, Evaporated Milk, or Milk Powder