Coconut rice is a simple south Indian dish that can be fixed in minutes. If you have left over rice, this is a great way to use it. I personally like it better with hot freshly cooked rice. When the rice is hot it soaks in the flavors of the seasoning and the coconut very well.
- Cooked White Rice( long grain or basmati) : 2 cups
- Fresh shredded coconut: 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Channa Dal: 1 tsp
- Urad Dal: 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Broken Red Chillies: 3
- Green Chillies: 4
- Curry Leaves: 5
- Asafoetida(Hing): a pinch
- Add oil to the pan and when the oil is heated, add channa dal, urad dal mustard seeds and broken red chillies.
- When the mustard seeds start spluttering add cumin seeds, green chillies, curry leaves and asoefetida.
- now add the cooked long grain white rice or basmati rice and mix well until the seasoning is coated well to the rice.
- Now add fresh shredded coconut and turn off the heat.
- Adjust the salt and add the lemon juice.