Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Tres Leches Cake - 3 milk cake

Tres Leches Cake

My friend "S" told me about this Tres Leches Cake some time back and then she sent me pics of the cake she made. I have never heard of this cake before and the gorgeous pics she sent made me drool. When she told me Tres Leches means 3 milks and this cake contains the three milks whole milk, evaporated milk and the condensed milk, I had to try it immediately being a milk fan.

I generally like anything made with milk. I am not a sweet person, but tend to like the ones made with milk products.

The first time I tried this cake, it was a big flop. I did not beat the eggs properly and the cake turned out to be hard and not at all fluffy. It did not soak the milk syrup. I still liked the taste of it:)

So decided to try it again and this time its a success! I followed the recipe from this site.
She has beautiful step by step instructions with pictures. I followed the recipe exactly with only one modification.

The cake was awesome and juicy!

Here goes the recipe:

Ingredients:

  • All purpose flour: 1 cup + 2 tbsp
  • Baking powder: 1-1/2 tsp
  • salt: 1/4 tsp
  • Eggs: 5 separated
  • Sugar: 1 cup divided
  • Vanilla extract: 1 tsp
  • Whole Milk: 1/3 cup(for cake) and 1/2 cup(for syrup)
  • Evaporated Milk: 1 can
  • Sweetened Condensed Milk: 1 can
  • Heavy Whipping Cream: 1/4 cup
  • Store bought whipped cream fro topping.
  • Canned cherries( for topping)
Procedure:
  1. Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a large dish.
  2. Separate the egg yolks in to a mixing bowl and beat  them with 3/4 cup sugar until the yolks turn pale yellow.
  3. Stir in milk and vanilla to the yolk mixture.
  4. Pour egg yolks mixture to the flour mixture and stir gently until combined.
  5. Beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. withe mixer on, pour the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until egg whites are stiff but not dry ( This step I did not get stiff peaks after i added the sugar. But the cake was good and fluffy)
  6. Fold the egg white mixture into the flour batter until combined.
  7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  8. Grease a baking pan and pour the cake batter and bake for 35-40 minutes until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
  9. While the cake is baking prepare the milk syrup combining Condensed milk, evaporated milk, heavy cream and the 1/2 cup whole milk.(The actual recipe did not have the 1/2 cup whole milk or syrup. The syrup was too sweet for me so I added 1/2 cup milk) You can actually omit this and if you feel the cake is too sweet, you can just pour some milk on top in the end.
  10. Once the cake is baked, cool on a wire rack and pour the milk syrup over the cake.
  11. Cool it in the fridge for 2-3 hours before serving.
  12. Add some whipped cream and cherries on top before serving.
  13. You can use any fruit as topping.


1 comments:

arthi said...

OMG!! looks delicious..mouthwatering!!

Post a Comment

Member of

Related Posts with Thumbnails