My friend "S" told me about this Tres Leches Cake some time back and then she sent me pics of the cake she made. I have never heard of this cake before and the gorgeous pics she sent made me drool. When she told me Tres Leches means 3 milks and this cake contains the three milks whole milk, evaporated milk and the condensed milk, I had to try it immediately being a milk fan.
I generally like anything made with milk. I am not a sweet person, but tend to like the ones made with milk products.
The first time I tried this cake, it was a big flop. I did not beat the eggs properly and the cake turned out to be hard and not at all fluffy. It did not soak the milk syrup. I still liked the taste of it:)
So decided to try it again and this time its a success! I followed the recipe from this site.
She has beautiful step by step instructions with pictures. I followed the recipe exactly with only one modification.
The cake was awesome and juicy!
Here goes the recipe:
- All purpose flour: 1 cup + 2 tbsp
- Baking powder: 1-1/2 tsp
- salt: 1/4 tsp
- Eggs: 5 separated
- Sugar: 1 cup divided
- Vanilla extract: 1 tsp
- Whole Milk: 1/3 cup(for cake) and 1/2 cup(for syrup)
- Evaporated Milk: 1 can
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: 1 can
- Heavy Whipping Cream: 1/4 cup
- Store bought whipped cream fro topping.
- Canned cherries( for topping)
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a large dish.
- Separate the egg yolks in to a mixing bowl and beat them with 3/4 cup sugar until the yolks turn pale yellow.
- Stir in milk and vanilla to the yolk mixture.
- Pour egg yolks mixture to the flour mixture and stir gently until combined.
- Beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. withe mixer on, pour the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until egg whites are stiff but not dry ( This step I did not get stiff peaks after i added the sugar. But the cake was good and fluffy)
- Fold the egg white mixture into the flour batter until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a baking pan and pour the cake batter and bake for 35-40 minutes until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking prepare the milk syrup combining Condensed milk, evaporated milk, heavy cream and the 1/2 cup whole milk.(The actual recipe did not have the 1/2 cup whole milk or syrup. The syrup was too sweet for me so I added 1/2 cup milk) You can actually omit this and if you feel the cake is too sweet, you can just pour some milk on top in the end.
- Once the cake is baked, cool on a wire rack and pour the milk syrup over the cake.
- Cool it in the fridge for 2-3 hours before serving.
- Add some whipped cream and cherries on top before serving.
- You can use any fruit as topping.