Friday, July 23, 2010

Tofu Cabbage Rice - An article inspired dish

Tofu Cababage Rice

Other day I was reading an article on CNN that had a list of some super foods that are good for you.
The list consisted of Cabbage, Tofu, Black Beans, Cinnamon, Tomato, Blueberries, Salmon, Cocoa, Basil, Yogurt.
Here is link to the article.While I was reading that, I thought most of them we use on a day to day basis in our Indian cooking.
 I don't usually come up with a menu for my meals before hand. I open my fridge stare at the veggies for a while and come up with something. It was lunch time and as always I was staring at the fridge and suddenly remembered this article I read in the morning. Then I was like why not combine all the foods that I have and those I can, mentioned in the article and make a single dish and came up with this cabbage tofu rice.
I covered cabbage, tofu, tomatoes, cinnamon in the fired rice, and yogurt I used for the raitha.
Could not incorporate blue berries and cocoa.
Could have combined salmon, basil and balck beans too into the fried rice, but I did not have them readily available.

Ingredients:

Long grain white rice/Basmati Rice(cooked): 2 cups.
Shredded cabbage: 1 cup.
Firm Tofu(cut into pieces): 1/2 cup
Onions( finely chopped): 1/2 cup
Tomatoes: finely chopped: 1/2 cup
Pepper: 1/2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil: 2 tbsp
Cinnamon: 1/2 tsp
Garam masala: a pinch
MDH Kitchen king powder(or any curry powder): 1/2 tsp

Procedure:

Add oil to a pan and when the oil is heated, add onions,salt and sauté them till they are soft and brown in color.
Now add shredded cabbage and tofu and cook until the cabbage is soft.
Add the tomatoes, cover with a lid and cook for another 5 minutes.
Now add the cooked rice. Add pepper, cinnamon powder, garam masala and kitchen king powder and mix thoroughly.
Adjust the salt. Garnish with cilantro.
Serve with Raitha.

4 comments:

Satya said...

hi dear ,
first time to ur blog ...u got a lovely collection of recipes ...this tofu cabage rice is simply superb....never tried tofu with rice ...looks awesome ...thanks for sharing this beautiful n healthy recipe ...ni pachi pulusu kuda chala bagundi ,na attama kudha edhi chestaru n i love that..
if u get time do visit my blog

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

chef and her kitchen said...

looks really yummy..perfect 4 lunch

PranisKitchen said...

tofu cabbage rice that looks so delicious and helathy.. very good choice for lunch/dinner

pranitha said...

My hungry tummy wants to eat this right awayyyy.....[:D]

Post a Comment

Member of

Related Posts with Thumbnails